Renovations

After the last year of travel we decided to make some changes to the RV. Our Palazzo was not working the way we needed it to. For starters, we added hooks to the closets, hooks near the door for dog leashes, and a metal back splash next to the stove. I don’t like the idea of getting smells into the wood.
image

We use dish tubs in the refrigerator to hold our Pyrex Tupperware and other food items when driving and parked as well as large and small gift bags with the tops cut off in the cabinets to keep items from rolling around.
The bathroom had an ugly piece of art that we removed and replaced with a double towel rack because the over the door hooks don’t allow the bathroom door to close.
image

We don’t watch TV in bed so we removed the bedroom TV to create space for framed family photos (currently at home but we will want them in the RV eventually), a basket to hold tackle boxes with small jewelry and a jewelry box.
The closet rod fell on our drive from VA to TX, so we bought a piece of MDF board and glued and screwed it to the wall. This gave a nice base to mount a center support for the rod. Also, the original hardware was thin, cheap plastic and we replaced that with heavy duty metal. After hours of ironing I rehung the clothes and it looks great!
Another item to break was the front shade. On a shorter trip last month the entire thing came loose and fell while andrew was driving. Lucky I was able to hold it up and out of the way until he pulled over. The shade is connected on the driver side to wires hidden behind the dash for power to be rolled up and down. This had to be detached and lucky for us Andrew had all his tools! We later fixed the issue, rehung the shade, only for the motor on the shade to stop working. That was enough for me. We took it out, again. We bought the longest curtain rod we could from Target and installed that using small L-brackets we took from a different improvement project and were able to  hang real curtains. My next job is to wash and dry the curtains before hemming them. Experience has taught me this lesson the hard way… I want the curtains to shrink up before I hem them. Not after!
image

The L-brackets came from a dismantling of the window valances. I know they are boxes around the window so the roller shades will stay put while driving, but they were big and ugly! I decided the bedroom only needed the top box to hide the hardware of the double roller blinds and removed the side pieces. When we have the slide in, and we are driving, the windows next to the bed cannot even be seen! The third window will eventually be covered with window film that looks almost like stained glass. In any case, the roller blinds can be up when we drive as it is completely dark back there and so privacy won’t be an issue.  This change gave us the extra L-brackets for the front window curtain installation. I also decided, while everything was off the wall to cover the valances with beautiful teak fabric I found when we were vacationing in St Augustine over Spring Break. I love the way they look!!
Before:
image

image
After:
image
image

The window valances in the living room only had the side pieces and they really are needed there so I took them down, removed the extra layering effect and covered them with the same fabric. Then I rehung them up side down and backwards! Now they are simple rectangles and look great!
I also didn’t like the headboard, so I pulled that out. It was the same ugly fabric and a place where I’d like to hang some of our artwork one day. For now it is an empty space! Ahhh.